Since the 16th century the city had been known under its Ottoman name - Ruschuk.
The remains of the medieval town of Cherven – one of the largest military, economic and cultural centers of the Second Bulgarian Empire (1185 – 1393), are among them.
The Ivanovski Rock Churches are also situated here – a site included in the List of Global Cultural Inheritance of UNESCO.
Another religious center in close proximity to Ruse is the monastery St.
Dimitar Basarbovski – the only active rock monastery in Bulgaria.
The city of Ruse is situated on the highest right bank of the Danube river, at a distance of 320 km from Sofia, 200 km from Varna and about 300 km from Plovdiv.